Monday, May 24, 2010

Time FLIES!

I really can hardly believe how much time it's been. The days seemed so long during recovery, it seems like 24 hours was a completely different length between then and now (when I could really use about 36 in a day!)
Lots of positive things happening:
* I had my 6 month check up 2 weeks ago, complete with an X-ray that showed that the front section of my top jaw is solidly anchored to the back, so I am allowed to use those teeth again. I'm finding so many foods that were a hassle to eat (though I never realized it) that are now so fun! For example, I LOVE strawberries, but I used to make a total mess of them. They're so soft that my front teeth just couldn't cut through them. I would have to put the whole strawberry way into my mouth so my molars could crush it up to eat it. Now I can eat it neatly, prettily, bite by bite. I realized this at a picnic with a big basket in front of me- I must have eaten 30 strawberries, I enjoyed it so much!
* The gaps from the extractions are closing up, so I look less like a pirate or a prizefighter, take your pick.
*SUCH a significant drop in headaches! I used to take Excedrin migraine like candy, 2-3 times a week. Since surgery, I've had to take it once.
* I'm getting more and more comfortable with the way I look daily.
* BRACES ARE COMING OFF SOON!! My planned final visit is July 1, then we'll talk about getting them off!

Just a few negative:
* I've been finding it really hard to get used to my new face, particularly my new smile. I catch sight of myself in the mirror and do a double take! But I just looked through some pictures of myself from this weekend, and was pleased to find that I was a little more used to it.
* When I really push myself working out, I still get pain along the break lines. It sounds like that's to be expected, though.
*Still avoiding crusty bread, bagels (oh how I miss them!) and pita chips, but hoping they'll be back soon!

I'll leave you with some pictures.



This profile made possible by orthognathic surgery. ;)




By the way, I am not getting married... I just have friends who make a mean toilet paper dress!

Best wishes to all!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a great outcome from surgery and on your upcoming wedding. You look beautiful. : )

    Btw, I never liked my profile pic before surgery, now I like it better than my front shot.. lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rita! But no wedding coming up for me... I just had some good pictures from a bridal shower! It's all t.p.!

    I feel the same way! Profile shots always made me cringe, but now I prefer them! How things change...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a REALLY mean toilet paper dress! Awesome!

    I feel the same way about pictures - while I love the new smile - I'm not really set on my new chin or nose. The nose drives me NUTS, grr! And I feel like my chin is crooked - which it turns out it's always been a tiny bit crooked, but now that I actually HAVE a chin it's more noticeable.

    Looking great, though! What an awesome profile shot :)

    ReplyDelete