Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

The Good- Finally actually got my surgeon on the phone yesterday!
The Bad- Less than excited about what he had to say. He says there's no way he'd reccomend this surgery with as crowded as my upper jaw is (which makes me wonder why two surgeons hadn't said anything about this...) Soooo he wants to pull a few teeth, get the rest of them all lined up again, and then start thinking about surgery. This would put off surgery at least another six months. I REALLY appreciated that he at least said, "I know this isn't what you want to hear, since you've already had your braces on for over a year." Whoah... this guy a) remembers my story and b) cares! Anyway, I was SO frustrated at first, but at least it's a medical setback and not insurance again. I'm hoping for Christmas so I don't have to take time off classes, and the good news is that I'm now back on for my summer job. Unfortunately, it means another year of substitute teaching...
The Ugly- That would be me. Yesterday, while working with a kid in a special education class I work in a lot, one of them looked intently at me and said, "Are you wearing braces because they make you look good? Because I don't think they're working."
Yes, folks, even a 12 year old with autism knows that braces at 23 are not a great fashion statement. I'm not even gonna lie, I almost died laughing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith,
    I understand your frustration, but hang in there. I had a few set backs prior to surgery as well. I'm now 2 1/2 weeks post op and I can tell you time really does fly. I like to think of this as (one of my friend put it) my re-swaning phase. :) Keep your chin up. You've got the rest of your life ahead of you to have a perfect smile, this is just a little glimpse in time. Blessings to you. ~Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that kid was funny. 23 is not that old for braces :]

    I have a blog too:
    http://akamissbraceface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete