Tuesday, July 7, 2009

a few odds and ends

It looks like I've neglected to mention exactly what I'm going to be having done! That would be a 3 piece Lefort 1 and a genioplasty. And, from talking to a nurse at the surgeon's office today, I learned I'm also scheduled for a septoplasty (you learn something new every day, right?)
My immediate reaction was "What IS that?" so naturally, I went straight to Wikipedia. A septoplasty fixes a deviated septum. I didn't know I had one, but when I started researching, I remember him telling me that my nose was off-center and he might fix that. I probably missed anything he said about it after that, because I was too busy thinking "wait, is my nose really off center?" (I've asked numerous people that, and about a quarter of them say 'yeah, i think it is' so I believe him now) Plus I do get headaches and bloody noses and mouthbreathe a lot, so I think it would be a helpful surgery.
I really need to talk more to him about it next week, though, because it sounds like a septoplasty is really hard on you breathing-wise. Like, your nose is splinted and packed, so you have to breathe through your mouth. Which could be hard, when your mouth is also splinted and packed.
Could I get some advice from those of you who've been through it? I know it sounds like breathing has been really hard for just about everyone. Would it have made a difference to have your nose completely blocked off, or was your nose so badly blocked from the tubes anyway that it wouldn't really make a difference? I'd just like to know how much I need to worry about this before I go in next week :) Thanks, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey!!! NOT to worry!!! I had upper, lower, split palate, and septoplasty all at once. My main concern was the breathing. It was not that bad. I had tubes in my nose and no packing what so ever. I could breath a little, but I didn't have any scary moments of not being able to breath. I was worried about that too. My pictures look awful during that stage of recovery, but feel free to look over my blog and ask questions if you need too. My septoplasty did change the shape of my nose, but I like it. I think it looks better than before. I think you will be fine. Don't worry. Your date is about here!!! Bless ya!!! : )

    ReplyDelete