Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 10 and First Post-Op Appointment

Ugh. I have been SO bad about updating, I know. And unfortunately, all of my pictures have disappeared off my computer. Now, this isn't bad news for me (it's not like I really cherish this time in my life) but I know that was something that I really liked seeing with other people's stories.
The last few days have been better. I've had a little more energy and was even able to finish up a paper yesterday. The pain isn't bad unless I oversleep in the morning and miss my morning medications. I'm still not much closer to being able to close my lips, but at least they've gone down enough that I can see teeth through them! I've been doing pretty well keeping up with liquids, but horribly keeping up with calories. I'm sick of eating stuff thinned down so much that it'll fit in a syringe, but I can't eat from a spoon yet. To get it thin enough, you have to add so much water, milk, or broth that the flavor is so dull. I really, really miss flavor.
I was really, really hoping that my diet would change after my appointment today. It would have been ideal if he had said, "You're healing so well, let's take the splint out 5 weeks early! Go have a sandwich!" Needless to say, he didn't say that. I'd been hoping at least that he would loosen the bands so that I could fit a spoon in, but with the 3 pieces on top, the chance of relapse is so high he definitely can't do that yet. That was a disappointment. I know I still wouldn't be able to chew, but if I could use a spoon I could at least have ice cream instead of milkshakes with a tiny bit of ice cream vs. milk. Or anything else I blend up, blended a little less.
Despite the chance of relapse, he said that so far, the bite looks perfect. The only problem was that a few stitches on the bottom were pulling out, so I have to be really meticulous about cleaning my teeth or those will get infected. I've been super-anal about that so far, so that should be no problem, but it does make me nervous!
Life is getting pretty boring, though. And watching TV around Thanksgiving while on a liquid diet? No good. But in general, I think I've been pretty blessed so far and I hope it keeps up.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Meredith! I love reading your updates. :) Glad to hear the last few days have been going a little better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear you're doing well. Hey a "perfect bite" is great news! Those braces will be gone before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girl!!! You are doing great! You hang in there.....these days will soon pass and you will so love your new bite!!! Just think about all those pounds "you won't be gaining during the holiday!!! LOL

    Okay, if you can, try blending homemade chicken pie. I thought it was really good. You can also blend things like cherry pie (mainly the filling) with ice cream. That is really good too. Be creative. It will be over before you know it, and then you will be like me.... wishing I could lose a few pounds of post op eating!!!

    Blessings!!! : )

    ReplyDelete