Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 13

Still having trouble with the camera (DARN! I'm missing the most unphotogenic time of my life!) but here's the Halloween costume! Let's hope I can't wear it again next year!


Okay, questions- 1. How do you keep the inside of the splint clean? There's a little gap in the back of mine and I feel like it's letting in all sorts of food goo that I haven't yet figured out how to get back out. I don't like the idea of all those sorts of food being held tight against my teeth, blending to create who knows what kind of cavity-causing disaster.


2. How long does the drooling last? It's getting really old. I'm pretty much about to choose boredom over vanity and venture out into public, but I don't think I can do it while drooling like a St. Bernard.





And now, stories.


This weekend, a rubber band broke on each side. When my mom called the surgeon, he said it was no problem, he would put them back on Wednesday. I don't want them back! I've been able to open my mouth enough to use a SPOON! It's been wonderful! I'm hoping that he'll cut back the number of bands. Right now I think I have 6 on each side. It feels a little excessive. And I will have much to be thankful for if I can eat mashed potatoes on Thursday out of a spoon instead of a syringe! Maybe tears will convince him...


Speaking of tears, the innapropriate crying that I've read about is definitely in full swing. I cried when the rubber bands broke. I cried when he said he would put them back on. I cried when I couldn't find anything I wanted for lunch. I cried like 5 times watching Prince Caspian, which is not a particularly sad movie (I don't think I'll watch Titanic anytime soon...) It's a little over the top.


I had the BEST dinner last night. Zattaran's black beans and rice, blended with salsa instead of water. SO much flavor. I was so excited about it- until I saw what was on everyone else's plate. Grilled tuna steak and asparagus with sourdough bread. Last year I had a student who, when upset, would yell in one long scream, as if they weren't even seperate words, "ITSNOTFAIRITSNOTFAIRWAAAAAH!" That was what I felt like doing. Instead, I stomped off to my lonely recliner and slurped away.

Oh, and I'm working at a doctor's office right now. I took 6 weeks off, unpaid, for this. This afternoon, I got a message from the office manager that said something along the lines of "I know you have 6 weeks off, but the doctors want you to come back tomorrow. They say that you said 2 weeks was all you would need. They don't understand why it takes so long to recover from getting your wisdom teeth out. Ha."

I responded, "Tell them they're welcome to fire me." I really like my co-workers, but am not such a big fan of the job. It's very difficult working with people who, after repeated discussions of how long I will need and why, still haven't gotten it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's crazy that we are having the exact same problems at the exact same time. I don't know if you saw my most recent post, but I had 3 of my 4 rubberbands break. Unfortunately, they put them back in and I was feeling the EXACT same way as you: I don't want them back in!!! I was loving being able to open my mouth. And now they are in worse than ever and my mouth cannot open even the tiniest bit, even if I try really hard. AND I started crying today, a few times, b/c I was so frustrated and upset. Thank god my mom was there to get me under control. And thank god for people like you who are going thru it and can really understand my "pain and suffering". It does seem to make it easier when you have someone to commiserate with. Hope things start getting easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - look at that big smile! You look great!
    Love reading your updates, as I am preparing for my surgery (12/16).

    ReplyDelete