Thursday, November 26, 2009

Day 16- Happy Thanksgiving!

A very happy Thanksgiving to everyone! So far today I've enjoyed the non-eating Thanksgiving traditions very much, and am very grateful that my family has headed to my grandparent's house without me. I would love to be there too, but smelling Grandma's delecious Thanksgiving dinner would NOT be cool! I will be trying some mashed potatoes and gravy later, and blending up some stuffing with gravy, and have some pumpkin ice cream for dessert!
I had my second post-op appointment yesterday, and the news was GOOD. My bite is perfect, so he asked if I wanted the rubber bands back on. I said no, and he said okay. I said "It was that easy?" He said "I have no idea what you just said, but no, you don't really need the bands right now." YAY! I also asked for confirmation on the splint removal date. If there is even the slightest chance that I'll have to have it on for Christmas, I need to begin preparing myself mentally now. He said that everything is healing well, so we're set for December 22. It'll be a very merry Christmas! I won't even want gifts, just give me food!
Still just as swollen... that has definitely stopped going down for the time being. My chin is still tingling pretty much constantly, although every few hours it stops for about 30 seconds, and that feels great. Except that I get used to the tingling and only remember it after it's stopped for a bit! I'm still drooling like crazy, especially when eating... please tell me that stops soon! All I want to do is be able to eat a meal without feeling like a toddler! It would be really nice to be able to go out and get ice cream... but I'm thinking the messy eating might have more to do with the splint than my mouth, which makes me think I still have another month of only eating in private :( Does anybody know? Anyone manage to become a skilled eater despite a splint?
I hope you all are doing well! Everyone that's able better eat some cranberry sauce for me :) Everyone that isn't I hope you're at least drinking something delecious!

3 comments:

  1. Yea, for me I pretty much ate in private for 5 weeks...the splint really sucks. I'm sorry you had to have it during thanksgiving :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meredith! Man, didn't Thanksgiving totally suck?!?! It is definitely one of my fav holidays - I really love eating!! (Especially stuffing and sweet potatoes and pretty much everything on Turkey day). But, I did the same thing as you. I did not go anywhere (like I normally would) b/c smelling the food and seeing everyone else eating might have just pushed me over the edge. But anyway, I was wondering the same thing about the splint. I am hoping mine will come out by the 4 week mark which is when I go back to work. For now, I am still eating out of a syringe. I am hoping that will change on Mon when I see the Dr. I really need more variety than just Ensure and chicken broth. But it sounds like you are overall doing pretty well! I am happy for you. Hopefully the swelling for both of us will keep subsiding. The most important thing is that the Dr said everything looked great! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi M! I thought it's pretty funny how you are willing to skip all the gifts for a decent meal :). When I originally put braces on, it was just 2weeks before Thxgiving and I could hardly eat due to pain; now I cooked everything imaginable and I have enjoyed it more than anytime before (as my surgery day is approaching - 12.12). I will have no choice but to be surrounded with many many home made goodies as I will recover in my moms house during Christams time - snif, snif.

    I am glad to hear you feel better!

    ReplyDelete