Monday, November 9, 2009

Here we go...

12 hours from now, barring any unforseen problems, I'll be in surgery. Eek! It definitely came up quickly. I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be- most things are purchased, and what isn't my mom is going to get while I'm in the hospital. Most of the time, living at home post-college is kind of lame, but this is one time it's most definitely NOT! I won't list out what all I've bought right now, but I will make a list of what's been helpful post-op!

The final list of what will be happening tomorrow is as follows: a septoplasty, to make room for the movements made in the 3 piece Lefort 1, and a sagital split osteotomy and genioplasty on the bottom.

I am rather upset about one thing. When my friend had knee surgery this summer, we totally sent her in there geared up to meet a hot young doctor. As Kelly said, that probably won't be happening in this case!

Short term, I'm most nervous about breathing issues. I've read about people having some tough times with that, and that freaks me out. Long term, I wonder how hard it's going to be adjusting to the new look. Sure, I don't like my current profile too much, but it is me. After all these big changes, I wonder how I'll feel about it.

As for last meals... I have basically used surgery as an excuse to eat whatever I want for the last week. Last Friday a friend held an early Thanksgiving dinner for me, and since then I've pretty much been full all the time. I went out for Mongolian BBQ tonight (delecious stir-fry!) and am wrapping up my weekend of gluttony with an extremely crunchy chocolate chip cookie. And I just ate the last bite, so no more real food for 6 weeks :(



I'll leave you with a Halloween picture... who am I? Hint: I made good use of the braces


Well, the "Add Picture" option is not so much working, and I have to be at the hospital bright and early, so I guess you all will just have to wait for Halloween :)

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your surgery. :-)

    For me the breathing problems lastet about a week. Then things were pretty much back to normal.

    I asked the nurses what I could do about all the blood in my nose that was blocking for the air supply, and they gave me this little thing with sailine solution that I could blow up my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Meredith, I can't beleive it's finally here!! Good luck with everything. I am sure you will be fine. You are in great hands (not to mention he is totally hot too - haha). Just think it will all be over soon and at least you don't have to worry about work or school. Can't wait to hear from you on "the other side"! I will be in your place in exactly one week!
    -- Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're probably out of surgery by now! I hope everything went well. I'll be looking for your updates : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith, as you are now in healing phase please update us on the necessities (in addition to tissues :) ) that you found most useful in first 10 days (hospital and home). I am getting really nervous as my D day is approaching (23 days to go).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi M! Can you please tell me what is 3-piece LeFort I. It looks like you had the same procedure I will have, but I am not sure what "3-piece" stands for. To my surprise I asked my ortho and he didn't know!!!

    ReplyDelete