Wednesday, December 16, 2009

5 weeks





Finally I can show you results! So here I am... come on lips, close already! Looking like a monkey is only cool for so long! My nose is definitely looking wider, but I can breathe so much better that I really don't care! And... I have a chin! I'm just so amazed looking at profile pictures. I'm so much more comfortable with the way I look! I had a rule when I was driving people- whoever rides shotgun is not allowed to look at me. I hated people seeing my profile, so I would wind up driving with one eye on the road so I could turn towards them while they were talking to me! Now that rule doesn't need to apply, which makes me so happy.
So, at week 5:
Pain: is the worst in the morning. I have a lot of pain right where the cuts to the bone were made. Also some in the joints. It edges towards bad at night, but it's definitely worse in the mornings.
Feeling: I have most of the feeling back everywhere but my mouth, my bottom lip, and just below my lip. I'm starting to get feeling back in my mouth. It feels like my teeth are really sensitive. I'll probably be glad to have anesthetic to get the splint out next week!
Food: Ick.
Drinking: I have switched into overdrive on Operation Learn to Drink Like a Normal Person (not from a syringe.) I am trying like crazy to drink from a cup, but since I can't close my lips, I typically dump half of the water in my lap and choke on the other half. I'm starting to get a little nervous that I might be drinking from a syringe for the rest of my life. Can't you just picture me at the office Christmas party, sipping my martini through a syringe? I can. Also, I can picture a ton of weird looks coming my way. Not pretty. COME BACK, LIPS!! Anyone used to watch Veggie Tales remember the I Love My Lips song?
Etc: I can finally laugh again! My brothers are very, very funny, and for the last few weeks I've been doing this "Haha,ow,hahaha,oww,hahahaowwwww" It hasn't taken much to make me laugh until I cry!
Oh, and since my mom has been dragging me out a lot more, a lot more people have been trying to talk to me. Since I can't really talk, she usually jumps in with "she had surgery on her mouth." which naturally prompts, "Oh, yeah, I had my wisdom teeth out years ago. Let me tell you..." Meanwhile I'm all set to mumble, "Yeah, I had mine out years ago too, and let me tell YOU, that sucked a lot less than this!" Of course, it would sound more like "eeh, iha ine owears gotoo" and nobody knows what that means. But anyway, it reminded me of this clip:
Don't worry, fellow ortho patients. We will ALWAYS be able to beat a 4 wisdom tooth story.


4 comments:

  1. Hey girl!! You are looking great! Everything seems very balanced and your profile looks awesome. I personally am really happy with my profile as well and my chin, which is now centered and not as prominent (it really stuck out when you looked at it from the side). But, I am still just so upset about my swelling. I don't know why I can't relax and trust the docs that it can take up to 3-4 mos to completely go away, but it just still seems so bad. :( Do you feel you are still swollen? Anyway, I hear you about the mornings. I haven't been too bad with pain now other than the mornings. I wake up and my teeth and jaw ache so bad. I am hoping when I go back to work tomorrow that won't be too bad to deal with (I would take the pain meds when I wake up but don't think it's a good idea to drive after taking them). Oh, and I watched that video. SOOO funny and TRUE!! I have had people try to compare what I had to wisdom teeth (which I also had 4 pulled at once) and it's just almost funny. SOOOO not the same or even close. Anyway, you are doing great and it sounds like you are feeling more positive now, which is really good. I hope to start feeling that way soon too. Have been really depressed about my looks for the past few days. It will all be worth it if at the end of this, I am ok with how I look. That is all I am praying for at this point. Anyway, good luck with the splint (don't worry, it wasn't bad AT ALL)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see a significant change with that photo. Looking great! As far as drinking from a cup, I have found it easier to drink from cups with a smaller opening. I keep washing out a tall size plastic cup used for cold beverages at Starbuck's because it just seems to work. Maybe that's just me being neurotic...try out different cups and you'll find one that seems to work (even if your lips don't close as has been the case with me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly and Carrie! I'm really happy with the results so far. Kelly, I defffffinately still look and feel swollen. It doesn't really bother me right now, but I have a feeling that as soon as I get the splint out I'm going to start getting upset about the swelling! It's hard to be patient!
    And thanks for the tip, Carrie- I've been using little Dixie cups, but I think the plastic cup is a good idea- a little more flexible. I'm hoping that I'll be better with it once the splint comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh, this post made me laugh - and I cant laugh because I feel the cut in my gum's (right under my nose) ouch.
    You look great!

    ReplyDelete