Tuesday, December 22, 2009

6 weeks

I scheduled my 6 week appointment for exactly 6 weeks after surgery, not wanting to waste a day! During my last appointment, they said I would need local anesthesia for the splint removal. I'm not sure why, but they never mentioned it and didn't give me any, which was fine. I don't really like those huge needles!
The splint removal started out easily enough. The OS just clipped each of the many wires holding the splint in. Pulling them out was more difficult and much more painful. They were really in there, so he was really pulling. And pulling my lip up and back, which was fine in a few spots but really hurt in some sensitive spots. (yup, the feeling is coming back1) A few wires were really tough, and the pliers slipped and slammed into my lips or gums. There were a few whimpers of pain involved, and I am not that type. Unfortunately, he couldn't do it any slower, because my opening was getting smaller and smaller as my mouth got tired. After a few minutes, they were done and I got to brush my teeth, thank goodness. Underneath the splint the teeth were really fuzzy and the gums were swollen. They felt like the skin after you take off a band-aid. Icky.
He took a look and, unfortunately, had fairly mediocre news. I had a 3 piece Lefort, so the bone attached to my front 6 teeth is one piece, and the back teeth on either side ae pieces two and three. The front section is not healing to the back ones as quickly as it should be. When he pressed on one tooth, I felt the whole section move just a little. So I have to be very careful with those teeth. No biting anything with them. He asked if I could remember that and I laughed. I've never been able to use those teeth for anything, so there's no reason why I would try now!
I've also had some relapse, but nothing to worry too much about yet. It can probably be corrected by the orthodontist. I'm glad he told me, but that is definitely not something I can put off worrying about! I do not want to do this again!
He confirmed that I was not to eat anything harder than pasta until my next appointment in February, and I was on my way.
I have to say, there are some things that really disappointed me. My bite is awful right now. I can only touch the very back molars on the left side. Before surgery, I could at least touch two molars on each side! I guess it has to get worse before it gets better. My orthodontist can't see me until January 5, which is too bad. I want to get started as soon as possible! Also, I still can't close my lips or talk very well, and I'm still drooling. He said that that will get better, I just have to get the muscles re-acclimated. I would like them to re-acclimate, like, last week. I'm supposed to go back to work Monday, and I can't work while drooling or not talking.
We went to Noodles & Company for dinner and brought it home. I got my favorite, pesto cavatappi, with sauteed tofu. I cut everything up really small and stuck it in the back where those two teeth meet. It took me an hour to eat a third of my small order, but it was delecious and felt really good to be eating like an adult again. A very slow, messy adult, but an adult nonetheless.
As for everything else:
Pain: Very manageable. It's bad in the morning, but a few advil takes care of it.
Feeling: My mouth is getting feeling back, and it's pretty uncomfortable. It feels like it did when I first got braces- all my teeth are really sensitive. I'm very aware of them all the time. My top lip is most of the way back, my bottom lip is still getting creepy crawly feelings but nothink when I touch it. My chin still has nothing except for the occasional phantom itch or shock of pain.
Swelling: Still swollen, but not terribly. Once I can close my lips I think I'll look fairly normal. Please, please let that be soon!!
Drinking: Without the splint, I can drink, but I'm not that great at it! I lose some off my lip fairly frequently. So much for taking a Starbucks break during my Christmas shopping tomorrow.
Well, Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that you're all doing well, wherever you are in the process and have a great holiday!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, the things you are describing sound normal for this stage in your recovery. Hang in there! Have a Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith!
    Merry Christmas! I am glad they decided not to do LaFort1 in 3 pieces for me - as you just said, the whole recovery process is much longer and more complicated. I am still numb and all, but havent had any pain yet - its hard to imagine it will kick in at some point

    ReplyDelete